Thursday, August 27, 2009

Routine back in my life

School started this week. Yes its always crazy, stressful, sad, exciting and I must say welcome. Suddenly, there is a clock back in our life. A regulator of time, energy and resources. In the past few weeks as my enthusiasm wilted in the staggering 100+ heat of Austin I wondered what little event would come along to kick me in the a** and get me back on track. Turns out I didn't need a freezing cold front or a personal air conditioner. Nope, just the regulating influence of the AISD school day for Eileen. In just 4 short days, I have picked up where I left off in July with great runs and a better attitude. I am back with the AM group of Team Rogue. I even forgot to set my alarm BOTH days this week but woke up unaided at exactly 4:15 as planned (how sick is that?).

We are preparing for Saturday's Soul Buster with reduced mileage and high turnover workouts. Tuesday was 6x1 mile repeats, 800 at 1/2MGP and 800 at 10K paces. Chris and I nailed it at the paces based on a 3:08 marathon. Today was 12x200 at 5K pace and once again, Chris and I worked together to nail the paces. 1st repeat fast, 2nd repeat slow then 10 repeats within 1/2 second of target. About that Soul Buster. We will warm up 1.5 miles to Anderson HS where we will run a progressively faster mile on the track ending with an all out 400. We will immediately head back out for a 2 mile recovery run before running 9 miles at our marathon goal pace. Then we will run 5 miles of the Run From Hell in Westlake Hills including a return down Stratford to Austin HS. At the Austin HS track, we will then run 2 miles at MGP, 2 miles at 1/2MGP and 2 miles at 10K. Then its 2.5 miles over to Barton Springs where I hope I can soak out the damage while basking in the glow of a hard as nails 27 mile workout nailed hard.

I had a great LAB Soul Buster 2 weeks ago. Nailing this weekend's workout will go a long way toward setting me up mentally for a good race at Portland.