Sunday, December 13, 2009

Jingle Bell Weirdness

I waked up several times last night sore from yesterday's hills. I made the decision in the night that I wasn't going to all out race the Jingle Bell 5K this morning but instead use it to loosen up from all of hills yesterday. Eileen was signed up to do the Kid's K and Ruth Anne brought the Chihuahua along to protect us from any Pit Bulls or Rottweilers that might show up. To warm up I ran the course missing a few turns that weren't yet marked getting back just in time for the kid's k. Eileen has this bopping carefree running style and she trotted along in the middle of the crowd of kids and strollers. She was happy to get a candy cane and cruise the "athletes" food line! I lined up a few rows back of the front to avoid getting sucked into "racing" and when the horn sounded set out on what felt like a comfortably fast pace. The mile markers where so far off that I won't record the splits. After a mile or so I began to pass all of the high school kids who invariably go out too fast. Passed a few weekend warriors who still run like high school kids and go out too fast. About 2 miles in, I got passed by a familair looking runner whose name I didn't know. Since I was running easy I just started talking to him as he was passing me and got a couple of grunts in response. Trevor and the Turner gang were a little ways back and we waved at each turn around. Up ahead I heard a really mad chihuahua and figured that had to be Bruno getting after a Bull Mastif or Doberman. Sure enough, Ruth Anne, Eileen and Bruno were on the corner so I waved and tried to look good for a picture. I knew from running the course that we had a short but nasty little hill just before the 3 mile mark. I had two runners within 20 feet so I planned to make my move on the hill assuming I had any move left in my legs. I wasn't breathing hard at this point and when I het the hill I felt like I was shot out of a cannon. I passed botth runners like they were standing still. The guy that had passed me previously tried to go with me but I didn't hear any footsteps after about 30 meters. I was lazy with the watch at the finish and when I finally got around to checking I discovered that I had just PR'd the 5K by 1 second. Then they announced the runner behind me as Chris Guenter. I looked around for Chris so I could introduce myself. I told him that this was the first time I could remember besting him in a race AND that I was on a jury in one of his trials a few years back. We chatted a bit then we all got a bit cold and went to change.