Thursday, January 15, 2009

Running Toward The Light

I suppose some of you have wondered what happened to A Geezer Running Amok. Quite simply, like our current economy, my life crashed on December 14, 2008. Had I been looking, I suppose the signs were there. I took down this blog to remove any temptation to post a comment that could only make things worse.

My running is so integrated into my life now, that as personal problems worsened, so too did my running. On a run just after Christmas in fact I discovered that I just couldn't do it and walked away. For 11 days, I woke up every morning with no desire to run and a real fear that I might never run again. On the first day of the 2009 Team Rogue training, I sat down and wrote an email to Steve and let him know that I was just not able to get running. After I sent it, I just got angrier and angrier at myself for allowing events largely outside my control to take such a toll on me that I couldn't even run. So, I cut my hair with a #2 guard pulled on my shoes and went for a run. I made 6 miles. I hurt. But I had run.

That night I made myself a deal. I would try to run every day. I would not wear a watch or follow a plan. I would run whatever distance I felt like running. I would run as fast or as slow as I felt that day. That was 10 days ago and I have logged 90 miles. I have run to work and home. I have run to Whole Foods downtown for breakfast with Ruth Anne and Eileen. I even ran 9+ miles of the RunTex 20 miler. I still have no plan. I am signed up for the 3M Half Marathon on Jan 25 and I am registered for Boston but I don't know if it is smart to race either.

I don't even know if I will keep up this blog.