Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Shoe Distress

Yesterday was the 14 mile version of Sadie's run with Team Rogue. I like that the mileage is back up to the "usual" level but I personally don't like to follow a map in the dark on runs with 50 or more turns. I guess one way to look at it is I will appreciate our other runs that much more. The run went OK with two exceptions. I developed a slight side stitch around mile 12 that slowed me down a bit. I ran through it and am beginning to feel that even if I get a stitch in my next race I can work through it. The bigger concern was my shoes. It was hot and very humid so I soaked through my shoes pretty quick. About halfway through the run, I noticed that my feet were hurting a bit and my shoes felt sloppy. The laces were tight and I didn't want to stop and mess with them during the run. When I got home though, I checked them over and found that the heel cup has completely failed allowing my heel to literally slip off the sole. I was not running in these shoes last summer and this week has been the first week of full on sweat soaked runs. I am going to have to figure something out because this pair only lasted 150 miles which is less than 2 weeks. I had been getting 250-300 miles out of each pair this past winter. I'm going to change the lacing pattern and attempt to tighten up the heel cup but I'm not too optimistic that that will help.