Saturday, November 21, 2009

Great Run - Empty House

I ran 20 miles today, I think. The winner of my forum contest to guess how I earned the name Geezer was Bill Durbin. His prize was ME. I offered to carry gu's discarded clothing etcetera figuring some beginner running 9 or 10 minute miles would be the winner. After declaring Bill the winner I started checking on who he was and got a little worried that I might be in for a tough run. Not to worry. Nothing to carry and no extra clothing at the start so I was off the hook there. All I had to do was keep up! We grabbed the 20 mile map but I don't remember seeing him check it. Bruce went with us planning to run 20 so I'm sure we were close. I thoroughly enjoyed our run. Great conversation, a decent pace and 20 miles of mostly Austin Marathon course.

Yesterday was interesting. I ran my 9 mile version of my DK plus Sadie loop. On the same run almost a year ago, I saw a petite, very fast woman running on my route. I sped up trying to catch up but couldn't close on her. About a week later I saw her again crossing my route but again I couldn't catch her. Yesterday, I saw her coming at me. We were both on the sidewalk and this time I flagged her down to introduce myself. She was older than I expected and said her name was Jennifer. She was wearing a 2008 Boston shirt so I asked her what she was training for. She said "nothing, I'm just lazy and fat out for a run". I laughed at that remembering I couldn't catch her the times I had seen her before and I'm telling you she was NOT fat.

Tomorrow, I am hosting the first Run Nekkid With Geezer event at the Zilker Park Great Lawn. I am hoping to introduce some of my athletes and running buddies to the joy of running barefoot in the grass. If you are interested, 7:30am at the east end of the ACL area.

Ruth Anne and Eileen went to Dallas this morning so the house is empty. I get to wash ALL of my clothes today! Whoo Hooo! I'll finish cleaning out the shower from my tile repair and watch the Texas game tonight. After the Nekkid Run tomorrow, Ruth Anne wants me to repair a couple of broken tiles in the other bathrooms so I guess I'll be busy enough.