Saturday, September 19, 2009

Last big run before Portland

This is getting even scarier. I feel great. Keith pointed out after our run that I have that look like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. There may be a bit of truth in that observation. Today was 23.5 miles with 20 miles at MGP+20sec/mile. What that means is: I want to run a 3:10:00 marathon which works out to 7:15/mile. So today I was supposed to run at a 7:35 pace. That did not exactly happen. In fact I was all over the map as I had no one running my exact pace but 5 or 6 runners running near my pace so I was constantly trying to judge who was where while trying not to get lost in the dark with directions printed in fine print. Slowest mile was mile 2 at a 7:40. Fastest mile was 20 at 6:51. Overall average pace for the 20 was 7:20. Overall pace for the entire 23.5 was 7:27 or a 3:15 marathon pace. That is a great confidence builder BUT I need to be careful this week to get full recovery before the marathon.

Just a note about the "new" Las Vegas. You may remember a few years back when Las Vegas tried to cultivate a family friendly image? Well, those days are GONE! The Treasure Island Pirate attack is now a lame ass pole dancing routine with show girl and Chippendale rejects. The M&M store is stocked with men's boxers with "Melts in your mouth not in your hands" printed on the fly. We had a great time but Eileen will not be making any more trips to LV with us for a VERY LONG TIME! Parents you are warned.