Sunday, September 13, 2009

Of Shoes and Fish

Yesterday was the first time I have run on the roads in the rain in my current shoes. I was anxious to find out how they would perform since there is always a good chance of rain in Portland in the Fall. Within a block, we came to water standing in the road that was at least 2 inches deep so I ran right through it. Others in my group were weaving, jumping and high stepping to avoid getting their shoes wet. I will admit I HATE wet shoes and have performed all of the same futile gymnastics on many a wet run in the past. The result: my shoes completely filled with water then completely drained within 2 strides. I could feel the water rushing out of the shoes and there was absolutely no squishing. Of course the shoes have no insole, I don't wear socks and the whole upper is mesh. This morning as I was putting on my shoes for a quick 5 miles, it occurred to my that of course my shoes would work great in the rain, they are Piranhas after all!

Since it was not raining this morning, I elected to put a few more miles on the pair I have picked for race day. I relaced them in the Arthur Lydiard preferred method, got everything adjusted just right and headed out. Man I LOVE these shoes. Each pair has subtle differences and this pair is the most comfortable pair of shoes I think I have ever run in. They will go back in the closet today. I will run no more than 2 medium long runs in them before race day so they will have about 60-70 miles on them. Perfect!