Sunday, September 27, 2009

Portland in 7 days!

Since I couldn't get my long run in yesterday, I received my alternate instructions from Steve: "12-14 but not too hilly. Keep it easy then close the final 10-15 minutes." I laid out a gently rolling 14 mile route and headed out with every intention of following Steve's instructions to the letter. My course was laid out with 2 mile segments so I kept track of my 2 mile splits. The pace for each 2 mile split worked out to: 7:45 7:30 7:15 7:10 7:00 6:29 6:23. Overall pace for 14 miles 7:05. I really really tried to maintain an even effort once I reached the 7:30 pace but there were just too many other runners out there this morning and as I blew past each one of them I just kept smiling, saying good morning and squishing them into the pavement. Figuratively of course. So it ended up being a progressive pace run without an all out finish. I will run about 35 miles this week then take the battle to the streets of Portland next Sunday. The goal is <3:10. I am going to try to run even 7:15/mile for 20 then see if I can shave a minute or two off the final time. After the last 3 weeks of mostly great runs, I feel that this is the best I have ever felt going into ANY marathon I've ever run. The goal does not seem as big a stretch as many of my previous attempts. Ruth Anne promised me that she will go to Boston with me whether she qualifies at Portland or not. That will be great. If I can put together a winter training season that ends up as well as this one I will be ready to go for 3 hours at Boston. Whoo Hoo.