Sunday, October 18, 2009

Dear Mr. Geezer

Inspiration comes from unexpected places sometimes. Yesterday was the Texas-OU game which as usual was a edge of your seat game, not from a scoring standpoint but from a what will the defense do this series. Then I joined Ruth Anne cleaning out the carport and surprisingly even parked in the carport again for the first time in over a year! I ran out for take out and after dinner checked my email and found the following email in my inbox:

Dear Mr. Geezer: This is the only email I could find to contact you, but I just wanted to let you know that this 55 year old runner on his 25th comeback has really enjoyed reading your Running Amok blog. Congrats on your recent marathon accomplishment! I got into running 30 years ago, never quite qualified for Boston but still have the dream. I wouldn't want to be chasing anything else!

I still enjoy the training, and the challenges, and I love to read good passionate writing about the sport, which is how I categorize your posts. Love 'em! I live with my wife Jane in the scenic Hudson Valley in upstate NY. We go down to Washington DC next weekend where Jane will run her first marathon in 13 years. This is just a "get your feet wet" run for her ... finishing in one piece is the main goal. I hope to follow suit sometime next year.

Thanks for the inspiration ... you have an audience outside of the Lone Star State. Keep up the good work and good luck on the roads.

Best,
Brad


I know some of my runners read my blog and a few of my running buddies but I sometimes forget this is the WORLD WIDE WEB and you never know who you might reach out and touch with a few words. So Brad, thanks for taking the time to track me down and sending your wishes. Good luck in DC and keep chasing Boston. After being there when my great buddy Ed finally punched his ticket I can tell you that the harder the struggle the sweeter the victory!

So I had been very ambivalent about racing the IBM 10K this morning until that email. I had set my IBM goal during the final 2 miles of Portland and knew that 2 weeks after running the marathon it would be a big unknown. The goal: place in my age group. I figured I would need to run a 6:10 pace to even have a chance. I have never held that pace for longer than 2 miles before but I was ready to give it a try. At the starting line I looked around at the 45-49 running GODS and immediately felt intimidated. Larry Bright, Scott Birke, Scott McIntyre, Marvin Hope..... If you run in Austin you know that these guys are serious fast and have been placing or winning whatever age group they have run in for years. After the first mile I knew I couldn't hold the 6:07 pace and just kept repeating my new mantra: RUNNING FAST IS HARD - RUNNING EASY IS FAST. I finished in 38:58 for a 1 minute PR and 5th in my age group. I am not upset at all with the result. I am on the edge of the conversation at least.

After grabbing some water, I went back out on the course to cheer in all my my runners who raced today. I think everyone raced well. They all looked good at the finish and most had smiles on their faces.