Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Victory Lap

I just got back from a 3 mile victory lap through the neighborhood. Since I have had no pain or soreness walking around I wanted to see if running revealed any lingering issues from the race. Aside from a slight bit of tightness in the first mile and a slight twinge in my hip toward the end, nothing. I will stick to my plan of NO training until November 3rd. I will let myself run 3-5 easy miles a couple of times a week but no more than 25 miles in a week until then.

I spent a bit of time looking at the RunPix graphical race results and it confirmed what I already stated in yesterday's post. From the halfway point, 2 runners passed me and I passed 100. I knew a 23 year old named Jeff passed me on the approach to the St. Johns bridge and I never saw him again (3:02:01!) but I didn't start keeping track of passed runners until mile 17.5 when NOT ONE managed to pass me and make it stick. I particularly remember Heather. She got pissed when I passed her the first time and pushed to get back ahead of me. I kept a steady effort and passed her again and she once again pushed to get ahead of me. She was a crowd favorite so I kept hearing people cheering her name. We probably traded places 5 times between 18 and 23 before I dropped her for good (3:07:01 and 9th woman overall!) and by the time I reached the home stretch on Front/Natio Street I wasn't hearing her name any more.

I am trying to reassemble a full recollection of the race. I already have the title for it: "Geezer's Perfect Marathon" as I don't think I am capable of running one any better than this. I still hope to run faster, but I doubt I will ever run one better.