Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Boston Story #1

This week will have some recovery runs but no serious training. I ran 5 miles this morning stopping several times to chat with neighbors who wanted to know about the BRIGHT YELLOW shirt I just happened to wear ;-)

Boston Story #1

When I arrived at corral #8 runners were introducing themselves and discussing race strategy, weather strategy etc. I struck up a conversation with four runners about how many layers and when/what we would be tossing. One of them was Allison from some little town in Tennessee. Just before the gun sounded I asked her what time she planned to run and she said sub 3:10. Same as me. I told her my plan to run NO FASTER than 7:10/mile as we were walk starting. At mile 1 we were side by side so I began talking to her a little more. She said that she owned a running store. At mile 5 I told her we were dead on pace and she said it felt good to her. At a water stop around mile 10 or 11 I lost her. I looked around a couple of times and again at the finish but no luck. Today I decided to see if I could track down an Allison from Tennessee who started in corral #8. There she was, Allison Pastorek, 32 from Jonesborough TN finishing in 3:23:29. I looked up her picture to confirm it. When I tried to find her running store I chanced on to the State Running Records site for Tennessee and found she holds the age group record in the 30K for 27, 28 and 30 year olds. Her husband Steve holds 2 age group records for the mile AND 2 for the 30K. I think that is pretty cool.