Thursday, April 9, 2009

That's done

9 miles, 7:19 overall pace. Exactly 1 year ago today on one of our final easy runs before Boston I experienced some moderate foot pain and limped in from the run. I didn't know it at the time, but foot pain was going to be my story at Boston. Today, no problems. Bruce and I ran most of the 7 mile loop on LLT together at a 7:00 pace. With the poor traction on the trail, the effort equates to about a 6:50 on the roads. Since my actual race plan calls for going out at a 7:12 average pace through 15 miles, I think my only difficulty will be holding back until time to start pushing at 15 or so. I seem to be the only one in the group seriously attempting to negative split on the clock. Maintaining a constant pace at Boston FEELS like a negative split from an effort perspective but I am going to try to push the pace starting in the Newton hills. I am thinking that I will not print a pace band and just give myself a 10 second range to stay in for each section of the race. Miles 1-15: 7:05-7:15 pace range. Miles 16-20 6:50-7:00 pace range. Miles 21-26 are whatever I have left to give. Nutrition plan will be to eat my final meal at midnight Sunday. I will have some shot blocks to nibble on waiting for the start. I want to see if I can figure out a coffee 1 hour before the start.