Friday, April 10, 2009

Words for Geezer

10 days until Boston. Runs start to take on a surreal quality now. You know that you can't do anything at this point to improve your fitness but you need to run enough to maintain fitness and sharpen focus. You don't want to run too fast and strain something. You don't want to run too slow and feel lethargic. You feel confident in your training and ability but you haven't yet PROVEN either to yourself. I tend to daydream/visualize on these runs. They are always great dreams. My personal demons at this point are NOT lack of confidence or fear of failing. No, my demons are the voices asking why I'm settling for a 3:05-3:10 goal when 3 hours is THE GOAL. 10 seconds per mile. That's it. The difference between 2:59:59 and 3:05:00. Surely on this ONE day you've got 10 seconds per mile. Success for me at the 2009 Boston Marathon will not be measured by the finishing time but by my ability to take control of my actions, constrain my impetuous nature and run a good race. After our workout yesterday, Steve was chatting with us about our goals. He congratulated me (and himself) on my conservative approach to Boston this year. Steve, save your congratulations for the finish line. I haven't done it yet. Don't get me wrong, I want to do well and execute the plan but...