Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Being Geezer

There are times when being Geezer is a blast, even when you know that being Geezer may not be exactly the best way to reach your goals. Last night my Austin Marathon group held our "Final Workout" at Serrano's. To celebrate our accomplishments and camaraderie I indulged in 2 margaritas and a Pollo Chiplotle dinner. Not my normal fare. Let me tell you, this group of runners was a blast to coach and a joy to get to know. I am most proud of the fact that I only lost one participant during the 6 months of training and every remaining runner started and finished the Austin Marathon. There were some spectacular successes: Jeff 27 minute PR and Boston qualifier; Andy 35 minute PR and sub 3:30 time. In all, 5 of the 13 qualified for Boston and I think 8 of 13 PRd. Not bad.

Back to being Geezer. This morning I headed out for my daily 10 miler. At the 1/2 mile point I noticed I was slightly faster than a 7:30 pace. Normally I am around 8 minute pace for the first mile or two. The moment I saw that pace, the Geezer in me wanted to see what we had today. I clocked a 36:16 for the uphill 5, 7:15 pace and 33:52 return for 6:46 pace. Overall 1:10:08 or 7:00 pace. On top of yesterday's run I feel GREAT. I hope I have enough left for tomorrow's tempo run and Saturday's Soul Buster. I find myself telling me to heed the advice I give to my runners about running smart and avoiding injury. I hope I can maintain this level of success through Boston and beyond. If so, I will get that 3 hour marathon.