Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rainy 16

How do you second a team workout? Wait until everyone else runs a marathon two days before a 16 mile run! I was rested and revved up from cheering this weekend while most of the team was feeling the pain of 20-26 miles of the brutal Austin Marathon course. Kevin was back today and ran off the front but Ken, Sean, Mark and I pushed the pace from mile 3 on. The South Austin Ramble climbs 500 feet over the 8 miles out but we held a 7:25 pace. Coming back we averaged a 7:06 pace for an overall average of 7:17. I was leading the charge back in the final 2 miles when a construction worker tried to tackle me. I thought he was there to divert traffic from going west on 2nd street but he stopped Ken and Sean. Back at Rogue, Ken told me a crane had a huge sheet of steel hanging over the sidewalk I was running. I checked every direction but up I guess. Anyway, I felt good the whole way. It was the first rainy run in my Piranha shoes and I felt like I was running on ice the whole time. I will take sand paper with me to Boston to roughen up the sole if it looks like it might be wet.