Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Good Run

Saturday got away. Ruth Anne was running her first long run in nearly 2 years so I kept Eileen while I manned my water stop. Later, Ruth Anne was showing lake properties to clients so I had Eileen for the day. Made the best of it though. Eileen and I put up a barn for storing hay and my little tractor. Had a little trouble getting Eileen to put away her Gameboy but once she did, she was a big help. She handed me nuts and bolts and even held the corners of the cover as I pulled it over the frame. The cover must weigh 100# and I nearly pulled her off the ground a few times but she held on! Once the barn was up, I moved all of the hay inside. By the time I went to bed, my back and legs were complaining. I was glad my Sunday run was scheduled to start at 7am instead of 5 or 5:30. I had heard that Steve and Kristen were planning a 24 mile run. I asked if they would mind me tagging along. I've been hearing how fast she is running right now and was a little concerned that I would get toasted before we even got going. Anyway, Kamran and Jason showed up to run 10-12. I was a little pissed when all 4 of them tried to pull some intervention at mile 5 and get me to turn around, or take a water, or take some gels. Whatever. Jason and Kamran turned around and I had to keep pace with Steve and Kristen as much as possible. I kept them in sight to Carmen's house where they refilled water bottles and tried again to get me to drink. Steve tried to explain the route back but it was a few turns more than I could retain with streets I wasn't familiar with. I asked them to hold back until we got to Westgate and promised I could find my way back from that point. That worked and they dropped me at that point. I stopped twice to re lace my shoe, but other than that I pushed it home. I ended up cutting off a bit and ended with 22.6 miles in 2:47:52 or a 7:25 overall pace. That ranks as my best long run since August of last year. Ended the week at 78.8 miles. I'm charging my Garmin and plan to start incorporating it into some of my weekly runs. It'd be nice to capitalize on this good run and get back a little of the ground I've given up to the group.