Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tempo Thursday

After my exuberant run yesterday, I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to maintain pace today. I have decided to use the 3 hour paces and see if I'm able to hang. I don't yet know if that is the goal at Boston. Steve instructed us to run the 4 mile tempo section at 1/2 marathon pace. Based on the Rogue pace calculator that would be a 6:31 pace. I was all over the map (6:38 6:27 6:50 6:10) but it averaged out to exactly a 6:31 pace. Then we headed to the track for 4x200 @ 5k pace. Since we didn't know what pace before we arrived I guessed at a 6:00 pace and hit that exactly. The calculator tells me it should have been 5:58 but I'm not going to sweat that little difference.

Overall I felt pretty good. Keith was right on my heels during the Enfield rollers and I would probably have slowed more without him breathing down my neck. That reinforces the importance of running with the group on the hard workouts.