Friday, May 22, 2009

Coach Geezer

I find it interesting what your brain will decide to think about on a long run. I've got about a billion different things I'm working on right now that I would expect to be on the front of my brain, but today I was thinking about how I'm going to coach the upcoming Austin Marathon group for Rogue. The running part is easy, Steve, Ruth and Carolyn plan out the workouts and long runs for the whole 24 weeks. What I'm talking about is the motivational componant. Last season a couple of runners dropped or changed groups within a week or two of the start of the program. Everyone else started and finished the Austin Marathon. Of those several had PRs and several BQ'd. So, how can I build on that? No definite answers yet but I've got some ideas that I'll be thinking about.

Ran my 10 mile D K Ranch route today. No watch. Didn't see any of my regulars but I did pass a couple out running. I passed them from behind and said Hi as I went by. As I was rounding the corner, I heard her say "did you see how fast he passed us?" That's what I call an ego boost!