Monday, May 25, 2009

Did I tell you the one about...

I forgot to mention the highlight of yesterday's run. I was headed east on 34th St about to cross over the little Shoal Creek bridge and needed to get off the street to avoid a line of cars. What happened next all occurred during one stride:

I left the ground pushing off with my left foot from the street jumping the curb. As I scanned for a landing spot, I saw SNAKE! I have this Homer Simpson squeal that I reserve exclusively for SNAKES that escaped about that time. Once the squeal was out of the way, I noted that the SNAKE was about 6 feet long and I was going to land about 2 inches from it's head. The first evasive action was to tuck my legs up underneath me to gain hang time. Then I executed a very nice straddle split but realized that I couldn't land with my legs out to the side. So, I retracted the legs and went for a maximum forward stretch with my right foot. While I was about 4 inches away from landing, I noted that the SNAKE had not moved. I had not seen any visible injuries but I was in the process of concluding that Mr. SNAKE was in fact dead as I landed.

I next executed the fastest rebound stride of my life and began to try to restart my heart. It restarted and revved up to about 680 bpm for 2 or 3 seconds before returning to "normal". Did I mention that I have a thing about SNAKES?

Today was 10 miles easy. We are headed out to the farm to ride the trail horses and hang out a bit. Happy Memorial Day 2009!