Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The New Me

First team workout since Boston. I left the house with 10oz of Carbo-Pro and consumed all of it before completing the 8 mile run. I ran with Sean for most of the run and he advised me toward the end that we had run a 7:12 pace. Steve has adopted a stretching routine for both pre and post run. In the past I typically have avoided stretching as I felt they led to injury rather than preventing them. HOWEVER, since I now think that most "injuries" that runners suffer are not injuries but adaptations I did them all enthusiastically. I actually felt better in the first 3 miles than I have in the early miles of any run since before CALI. We'll see tomorrow if I am experiencing any "adaptations". There was a great deal of defiance from the long time teamers regarding the stretching and the familiar added mileage junkies. I ran the 8 miles prescribed and will attend Happy Office hours tonight with Ruth Anne to discuss my mileage plan with Steve. It is scary how good I felt going into Boston and how good I continue to feel. I'm looking forward to a solid training for Portland that hopefully results in another lowering of my PR. After Portland I am planning to renew my all out assault on 3 hours at Boston 2010.