Saturday, May 16, 2009

Signs of trouble

Today was the first test of my Carbo-Pro hydration/nutrition at distance. I met Damon for a 6 mile run before the 14 mile group run which turned out to be 14.6 by my calculations. I made up 3 - 6oz bottles of Carbo-Pro. I drank 1 driving down, number 2 during the 6 mile run and was working on the 3rd during the 14 mile portion. About 9 miles into the 14 mile portion I developed a side stitch and began falling behind the group. By mile 10 I felt nauseous and could not pick up the pace for the close. I finished without actually throwing up and felt fine once I stopped running. Overall pace for the 20.6 miles was 7:32, 7:20 for the 14 miles, so it was a valid test of how this is going to work. I am going to give it a few more weeks before going back but I will play with the strength of the Carbo-Pro mixture over the next few weeks. During the post run stretching, my feet and quads were cramping up. I may have not hydrated adequately yesterday and that may have contributed. I'll work on that next week.