Sunday, May 24, 2009

Got it going

I have a busy week coming up so I planned for this week to be a hard week and the upcoming week to be a recovery week. To finish off this week, I decided to run from my house to Whole Foods downtown and meet Ruth Anne. She was meeting with a nutritionist about some issues and they planned to be done by noon. I wanted to get there, have brunch and do some shopping and be ready to leave at noon. So I plotted my course on gmap-pedometer coming up with 13.9 miles door to door. I estimated I would run a 7:30 pace which worked out to 1 hour 44 minutes running time. I needed to leave at 9:30 to get there by 11:15 leaving 45 minutes to eat and shop. I through some pants, shirt and sandals in Ruth Anne's car along with my phone and wallet. I carried a car key, $2.00 and my 5oz flask of Carbo-Pro. I walked out the door at 9:30 and stopped my watch at the Whole Foods door in 1:43:27 at 11:15 on the dot. I didn't wear a Garmin and there are no mile markers along the way so I ran a 7:27 pace by feel for 14 miles. That is a huge thing for me since pace awareness has been one of the hardest things for me to find. The week total was 76.4 miles on 6 days of running. So since Boston, I've posted weekly totals of 25, 63, 81, 70, 76. I will likely miss 2 days this week and total less than 50 miles for the week. I am beginning to gain some confidence in my new hydration/nutrition plan. If the runs continue to go well and the nutrition gives me what I need to close on race day, I am setting up for a great race year. Goals: <3:10 at Portland in October and <3:00 at Boston next April. All I can say right now is: I got it going!