Sunday, May 31, 2009

So He's Human After All

This morning could have gone either way. This was a drop down week for mileage and I slept pretty late so just getting out the door was a challenge. Once I was going it turned into a great 10.5 mile run. Lots of people out running, biking and walking. I didn't wear a watch and I added my Sadie loop to add a couple of modest hills. Yesterday was 15.6 on the Lady Bird Lake Trail. I ended the week with 56.7 miles, my lowest mileage since the week before Boston.

After my run yesterday, I looked up the Stockholm Marathon site to track Mike's day. He has continued to say he was going for a sub 3 hour attempt. I have had a hard time training with Mike since he announced his plan to go for 3 at Stockholm. As much as I would like to support his effort, I felt that he was setting himself up for a major disappointment or injury going hard again so soon after Boston. That said, he amazed me with his run at Boston and I know for a fact that he will own a sub 3 marathon time. So, for the past several weeks, I have held my thoughts while others on the team joined him for long runs and special workouts to prepare. I've remained silent while others offered support and encouragement. At times, I even thought I should simply tell him he was ready and could take it. So, Mike, if you read this, I appologize for not being able to get behind you 100% in this endeavor. I'm very happy that you found a way to make it a positive experience. I'm very glad you are going to take a well deserved break. I look forward to having you back for workouts later this summer. I'm also glad to learn that you are in fact human because I was having a hard time trying to keep up with Super Man.