Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Jack on the Bike

Today was a post Warhurst recovery run of 10 miles. I decided to leave the watch at home and run easy. It was plenty warm but windy. The running itself was uneventful but today was a day for random thoughts and observations.

The first thought was a recollection of MY advice to Jeff at the beginning of the Austin Marathon training: Pick one day a week to push your pace and just get the mileage in on the other days. I am going to follow my own advice in 2009.

Second item, one half mile of beautiful asphalt on Western Oaks replacing the dreaded chip seal.

Third: I saw the old guy on his bike wearing his green safety jacket that I see 80% of the days that I run in my neighborhood. I don't know why but it triggered a paranoia episode. How would I ever "PROVE" that I was running for 1 1/2 hours if I needed an alibi? I run the same route nearly every time and see the same people but I don't know anyone's name or even where they live.

Four: Shortly after turning around I saw the guy on the bike again coming toward me. As he got close I crossed the street turned around and matched his speed. I introduced myself and he said "Jack". "Nice to meet you Jack" "I see you out here nearly every day, how far do you ride?" "30 miles a day. Keeps me going." "Wow, that's impressive. Well, now that I know your name I can say 'Hi Jack' instead of just 'Hi'" "Have a good ride Jack!" "Have a good run!"

Five: I was very happy for the rest of the run knowing that Jack on the Bike is now my alibi!