Monday, March 30, 2009

Just Visualize It. Honestly

I've been able to consistently visualize a perfectly executed Boston Marathon for a full week now. It has been at least 2 years since I managed to get into that zone. I have decided that it has to do with honesty. I set the goal for myself to run under 3 hours at mile 23 of the St. George Marathon on October 6, 2007. The "goal" for Boston the following April was 3:10. But I know now that I was not being honest with myself and by mile 3 at Boston I was chasing 3 hours and finishing in 3:59. I have a plan that should insure a big PR. If it is a "bad" day and I run the 3:10 paces to the finish that's a 10+ minute PR. If it's a good day I'll run a 3:06-3:08 and a great day I can see running under 3:05. If I can remain honest with myself to mile 15 of the 2009 Boston Marathon I WILL HAVE A GREAT DAY. If not, then I will once again end up in the gutter. I got in an honest 10 mile run this morning 21 days to the hour before the start of Boston. I "saw" myself running a smart race and kicking it in from Heartbreak Hill past the Citgo sign under Mass Ave and down Boyleston to the finish line. Now I'm going to go get an honest shower.