Monday, March 23, 2009

Welcome to the real world Neo.

Like Neo unplugged from the Matrix, we're back from the beach. In body anyway. From a vacation perspective, it was great. Spotty Internet connection and limited cell phone signal meant that I could just turn off the world for 6 days and see how that felt. It was the first time in my adult life to just let it all go and enjoy the beach, my kids, Ruth Anne and the rest of the family. And that I did! Hydration was ensuring that I got at least 4 margaritas daily. Electrolyte intake consisted of a bag or so of salty chips daily. As we drove to the house, I understood how difficult running was going to be. The highway was a 2 lane road following the coast with lots of blind curves and steep hills. Traffic was heavy and speeding was the norm. The "roads" in the subdivision were either 2 rut dirt roads or cobblestone with short but VERY STEEP ups and downs. That was out. The beach in that area was narrow and steep with rocky sections. Around high tide, the only exposed sand was deep and dry with lousy footing. At low tide a shelf of solid basalt was exposed too rough to run on. I ran twice on the beach. 4 miles the first time. I tried to run 10 on Thursday but cut my toe after 4 miles and called it a day. This morning, we walked Eileen to school then I headed out on my usual route. Not knowing how I would feel, I planned on doing at least 6 and no more than 10. I ended up feeling pretty good for 8 miles and kind of pooped for the final 2. Happy to be back where I can run consistently. No thoughts yet about setting a goal for Boston.